2011년 11월 20일 일요일

Review of a TED video:Gabe Zichermann: How games make kids smarter

            Readers of this essay probably had conflicts with their mother due to video games or computer games. According to my experience, my mother said to me in gravity voice “turn off that computer game, it will make you violent, and it will also harm your brain”. It is an insipid cliché. But, I was a kid who likes to play games, but I thought mother’s words are right, and stop the game. And, I thought about a person who could tell my mother that the game is good for me, and for the children. When I look up the TED homepage to choose a video to see, the title “How games make kids smarter” caught me up. Who prove my mother’s words are fallacious. So, Gabe Zicherman would be a laudable man, if I was a kid.

           This video tells about the positive side of a game, with a new word called “gamification.”  According to Gabe Zichermann, there are 5 common features of succeeded game: seek novelty, challenge yourself, think creatively, do things the hard way and network. Also, the 5 things that enhanced fluid intelligence correspond with those common features. G generation is another term that he used in his lecture. He said that age of KMLA students or newly born generations are pivotally affected with the game than book. So, the education, base on game than book, is more effective. Gabe Zichermann gave an example about this effectiveness. This experiment is held by Ananth Pai, who used Nintendo DS as assistant of an education toward 3rd grade of elementary school that is a great exemplary. After 18 weeks, the average level of learning augmented to 4th grade of elementary school. Gabe Zichermann said that it is because of a game that produces dopamine, a motivator of study. He gave an advice to the parents: get in to the game with your kids.
           After hearing this lecture, I wanted to tell to all of the parents, including dorm parents, who are against computer games, “Do not touch kids when kids are playing a game, it will help your kids’ future”. Also, I think about my status, dubious about how my present life would differ when my mother allowed me to play games. I will write about my present life, if I played a game as I wanted, although it is fickle.
           First thought that comes into my mind is that I won’t be here, in KMLA. If I just played game, my head will be specialized to the game, and does not work or dearth interest except for the game. This means that I would not be interested in the book, but would rather react only to the flash lights coming out from the monitor. So, I would not have test scores for application of KMLA, or would not apply to KMLA, because I would not be interested in it. It is a conspicuous result.
           Also, I would be vehement on algorism, C language or things that are related with programming. Playing games all day long will bore me and make me to find the source about the games. And, I would voluntary work hard to make my own game, due to feeling of timid. So, to make a game, I have to learn about computer languages, and learn it with Internet lecture, not by the books. I might get an award in the IT Olympiad. Then, I could enter NEXON, BLIZZARD or other computer game company that fits into my interest. And, I might engender a famous game.
Not only that I would not be verbose kid like now, because I would not make amity with friends.
          Because, I prefer to be in the KMLA than working as an engineer, I believe there should be restrictions on playing game. It is ironic. But, I sincerely agree with the fact that game makes me happy and complacent.



             

댓글 1개:

  1. A double edged sword. Games do have benefits, but the fact is that they are addicting, and create a false sense of achievement. But they do relieve stress and access various parts of the brain. Moderation is the key. I'm not sure he's talking about Warcraft or Angry Birds.

    I see the SAT words a little, but you were supposed to underline them. IN any case, this is fairly well written and I can see you learned something from the video.

    답글삭제